Thursday, December 22, 2011

Breakfast Taco Shootout

Taqueria Morelos
3100 S. Hwy 183
Austin, TX  78744
(512) 386-7863

EastSide Tacos
4602 Tanney St.
Austin, TX 78721-2526


When I take the bus, I end up walking up 17th Street from San Jacinto up to Brazos, where I can get into the back of the William B. Travis Building, where I work.  Back more at the end of summer, there were two competing taco trucks on 17th Street.  Now, don't think big food truck, these were both pickup trucks selling tacos.

Now, my breakfast taco preference is for egg, bacon and cheese, but neither had that, so I had to get potato, egg and bacon.  Morelos didn't have any cheese, and Eastside had cheese on the side, but I didn't get any.

Size and Price

Morelos was the larger of the two tacos and it was $1.50.  Eastside, smaller and $1.75.

Presentation

East Side had bags, and red sauce.  They also had a big sign that stood up out of the back of the pickup bed.  Morelos has a sign on the door of the truck.

Taste

I tried them first without sauce.  Morelos was really more like eating a potato taco.  That was the overwhelming flavor.  It wasn't bad, but you could barely taste the egg or bacon.

The Eastside taco was smaller because there was less potato.  There was more egg. but not enough bacon.   The sauce was good.  I was not offered cheese, which was offered to the gentleman in front of me.  So, they lose a point for customer service.  The taco was a little tasteless.  I could barely taste the potatoes and there is something the tiniest bit off about the eggs, not necessarily bad, just a little funky.  It might be the tortilla, but I cannot tell.  This slightly funky flavor mixed with the egg is the major flavor, and there isn't enough bacon.  I also noticed that the bacon is a little pink, which suggests that it wasn't cooked enough. 

When I was eating the Morelos taco, I thought that the Eastside Taco had to be better, but then as I ate the Eastside taco I wasn't so sure.  But....I cannot really recommend either of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment