Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Great Austin Burger Hunt - Moonies Burger House

Moonies Burger House
13450 Research Blvd.
Austin, TX 87850
512-257-9000
 
I had seen this place before, it is just across the street from Half Price Books at 183 and Anderson Mill. Other times I was not ready to stop for food, but finally, I decided to stop, after spending some time at the bookstore. In a first for the Great Austin Burger Hunt, I am trying sliders, because that was the special. They offer a variety of burgers, with a selection of cheeses, American, Cheddar, Swiss, and Pepper Jack. The sliders came with American cheese and grilled onions, which I asked them to leave off.
 
Now, let me ask a question. What is the use of placing a special order, if they ignore it? That's right, none. The special was for sliders with grilled onions, and obviously, as the proprietor here at Hold the Onions, I asked them to Hold the Onions. So, what did I get on my sliders...yes, you guessed it, onions, so big point against them.

The sliders come dry. Now, that might be okay, except that the first thing I thought when I bite into was...this is dry. The meat is dry, and that is not a good place to start a burger, and I say that with the admission that I generally like dry burgers. The tiny bit of american cheese is barely noticeable. The bun is soft, but not too soft. In fact this is a pretty good little slider roll. It probably deserves a better piece of meat. In fact, the roll is the best part of this slider. Now, I do not want anyone to think that the meat was bad. It was a bit over cooked, but it was tasty and had a nice char on it. It isn't bad, it just isn't great and they are changing a good bit for this burger. I expect more at this price.

The fries are good. There are breaded and quite crispy. They are no spiced, but they are excellent with catsup. They have good legs, as they were still crispy, even when they were cold.

Their only diet drink was Diet Coke, which I count as a point against them.

It looks like a sports bar, but none of the TVs were on when I was there in the afternoon.
 
I cannot really say what the regular size buns are like, but the ones I saw go past my table certainly looked like the ones on my sliders and I think that is a good thing. The sliders are on the high side of average, with an extra point for the nice buns. I won't skip Phil's Icehouse for Moonies, but I wouldn't mind coming again.

No comments:

Post a Comment