Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Great Austin Burger Hunt - EZ's


EZ's Brick Oven Grill
3918 N. Lamar 
Austin, TX 78756 
(512) 302-1800 
 
I have driven by EZ's dozens...heck, possibly hundreds of times over the last few years and never stopped inMy wife and I fixed that situation a few nights ago.
 
The restaurant on Lamar is done up in a sort of retro 50s style.  It reminds me of Mighty Fine, but that is the 50s as done by a big national corporation.  EZ's is a smaller chain, with only 5 stores and they have done a better job with their retro style.
 
We both ordered Bacon Cheddar Burgers.  I ordered the Curly Fries and my wife ordered the Sweet Potato Fries. The problem is that I ordered a soda, and when I made my way to get my drink and found that they are a Pepsi house, which is a big negative for me.  Worse, they had no Diet Dr. Pepper.  I ended up having to drink Diet Mt. Dew, and that is nasty.  This is definitely a case of a restaurant not caring about their customers, especially those who want or need to have beverages without sugar.
 
Our food arrived quickly, and the burger was pretty good.  It would probably make my top ten.  It comes on a wheat bun, and that is without them asking me, so I have to assume that is the regular bun.  The meat was well cooked, and the bacon was crispy, which is a big plus.  The only negative, it was a little bit heavy on the mustard
 
The sweet potato fries were very crispy, but the chipotle sauce that came with them had crusted over.  It tasted okay, but the crust made it less than appetizing.  Now, when it comes to the curly fries...well, it is going to take a bit of explaining. 
 
When you put the words "curly fries" on the menu, it carries a certain connotation that goes beyond the shape of the potatoes.  Curly fries are seasoned fries, but not at EZ's.  Also, they were not terribly crisp.  They were alright, but not great.
 
Because of the beverage situation, I will not be putting EZ's on my list of places to try again.  The burger is not good enough to make up for having nothing to drink.  After seeing a few of their pizzas, I may be tempted to brave the lack of drinks to try the pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment