Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Hunan North

Hunan North
9306 N Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX 78753

(512) 837-2700

I cannot think of a clever way to start this review, so I am just going to jump in. I ordered my usual Sesame Chicken. It was a little above average in price, being over $8 including tax. It it's even more above average when I discovered there was no eggroll included. I was rather surprised. The meal did include Hot and Sour Soup.

It smelled good as I carried out out to my car. The pieces of chicken were quite large, some thing else that was above average. I cannot say the same for the portion, which was adequate. There was broccoli mixed in with the chicken and an adequate amount of sauce. The soup cup was filed right to the top.  The rice was fried and their was a double scoop, once again above average.

Unfortunately, the taste was not above average. The chicken was fatty and often chewy. The sauce was a little on the sweet side, and worse had very little flavor depth behind the sweet. It was a bit bland. The rice was much worse, since it was very bland. Fortunately there was enough sauce to flavor most of the rice.

Now any regular readers of this blog will know that I am more of a fan of Hot and Sour broth than I am of the soup. The first I tried it I was rather put off by the unidentifiable floaty bits in the soup. Much later I discovered that the worst looking stuff was the egg that is put in at the last moment.

Hunan North's Hot and Sour Soup was in keeping with the rest of the meal, large in portion and average or maybe just below average on taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment