Friday, March 30, 2012

Panda Express

2501 W Parmer Ln
Austin, TX
(512) 821-2307


My wife and I were on our way to a meeting and needed something quick for dinner and I let her talk me into Panda Express.  It was against my better judgment.  I'd been there once before and hadn't liked it.  

First, I don't really like the way they do things.  You end up having to order two entrees, along with rice and soup and an egg roll cost extra.  By the time you get what would be considered a whole meal in a true Chinese Restaurant, it costs you as much or more as that Chinese Restaurant, and it isn't nearly as good.

I got Orange Chicken, as the closest thing to the Sesame Chicken that I love, and something with Beef and broccoli.  The chicken was chewy, the beef was tasteless, and they need to change the name of that entrĂ©e to Broccoli with a hint of Beef.  There was very little beef, which as I said was tasteless, and it was hidden in masses of overcooked broccoli.

Of course, things can't help but be overcooked, because they come out and sit under heat lamps for hours on end.  But, I didn't think that chinese cooking could manage to cook all the flavor out of food this way.  Of course, Panda Express bears as much resemblance to chinese cooking as Taco Bell does to mexican cooking (and I like Taco Bell).  And, to accentuate the tastelessness of the fried rice, they didn't give enough sauce with either the chicken or the beef to add much flavor to the rice.

The fried rice was as tasteless as the beef.  I got an egg roll and it was actually crispy on the outside, which was a bit of a surprise, but it was mushy inside, and it tasted a bit odd.  I have eaten a lot of egg rolls and none of them ever tasted like this.

Now, it wasn't a complete loss and I might go back to Panda Express, but it won't be for the Orange Chicken, the Broccoli Beef, the Fried Rice or the Egg Roll.

The Hot and Sour Soup was excellent.  I am a big fan of Hot and Sour Soup, even if all I really want is the broth, and theirs was really good, probably the third best I have ever had and certainly worth a return trip, but I think I will just get the Hot and Sour Soup to go, and then slip across the street to Taco Cabana for Mexican food a step above Taco Bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment